Saturday, November 21, 2015

Thank You, November Mornings!

I stumbled out of bed this morning and peeked out the curtain to see--SNOW!! It was a pleasant and shocking surprise just a week before Thanksgiving. The autumn trees are shedding their colorful leaves as the cold winter temps are creeping in. The change in seasons inspired me to find poems!

"The Last Leaves of November," by Robert Charity

November Morning



"A tingling, misty marvel 
  Blew hither in the night, 
And now the little peach-trees 
  Are clasped in frozen light. 


Upon the apple-branches 
  An icy film is caught, 
With trailing threads of gossamer 
  In pearly patterns wrought. 


The autumn sun, in wonder, 
  Is gayly peering through 
This silver-tissued network 
  Across the frosty blue. 


The weather-vane is fire-tipped, 
  The honeysuckle shows 
A dazzling icy splendor, 
  And crystal is the rose." 
~Evaleen Stein, November Morning



The Morns Are Meeker



"The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town. 
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on." 
~Emily Dickinson




Thanksgiving



"Give me the end of the year an' its fun 
When most of the plannin' an' toilin' is done; 
Bring all the wanderers home to the nest, 
Let me sit down with the ones I love best, 
Hear the old voices still ringin' with song, 
See the old faces unblemished by wrong


See the old table with all of its chairs 
An' I'll put soul in my Thanksgivin' prayers." 
~Edgar A. Guest, Thanksgiving





No comments: