Friday, February 25, 2011

Spoken from the Heart

ISBN 978-1-4391-5520-2
Scribner, May 2010
I’ve been reading the former First Lady’s book, “Spoken from the Heart”. It is truly a Texas treasure. She speaks of her growing-up years in Midland, her relationship with her parents as an only child, and how she came to know George, enjoyed raising her two girls, Barbara and Jenna, and faced the reality of enduring politics and public service.

What surprised me was her sincerity in describing her feelings as a daughter, friend, wife, mother, and First Lady. I found myself breaking down in tears as she recalled her childhood, and then also again during the events of 9-11. I didn’t want to read that chapter, but I did, and it opened up the flood gate of emotions that all Americans must have felt on that horrific day. She explains how she dealt with the media’s opinion of her during those many years, and how she leaned on the help and advice of many friends and advisors. The book closes with how she and George were relieved to return to private life, yet they were sad to say good-bye to the many people they worked with at the White House. She often longs for a quiet, anonymous life, similar to her childhood in Midland, but she settles for the busy, post-presidential life in Dallas and in Crawford, at the Prairie Chapel Ranch.

I was blessed by her book in that it was indeed “spoken from the heart”.  Great time was put into recording specific details about both personal and national events during their presidency; but in her notes, she recorded how she felt and the people she met during the highs and lows of the decade. Her pride in being a mother, daughter, and loyal wife is evident and contagious. I was left knowing so much more about her complex and interesting life. This is a must-read for all Texan moms, of course.

1 comment:

B said...

I am reading Decision Points by Pres Bush right now so I will definitely get Laura's next!