Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Have Mercy on Mom

So, last night, our eighth grade daughter was upstairs studying so very intently. Skeptical, after a couple of long hours of her quietly keeping to her room, I went to check on her. Imagining she would be bent over her desk, arduously studying for a test, I found her laying on the floor, falling asleep--in front of the TV. My pity and empathetic sorrow went out the window.

I turned into a mom. What followed were a few minutes of interrogation, scolding, and traditional nagging. Feeling so self-assured and "right", I marched back down the stairs…

…and proceeded to lose my confident footing and fall down the last three steps, slip on the tile floor, break a nail, land on my arm and hurt my back, and stand there sheepishly, while she and her dad stared at me (trying not to laugh).

It took about a minute to "get over myself", but we all got a big chuckle at my expense!

My buddies, Summer 2010
Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.  ~Robert Fulghum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I found myself laughing at your fall...too. I'm glad to hear everyone is okay, and I am not the only nagging interrogater! :)